This is my family’s favourite sandwich bread. It makes amazingly tasty sandwiches.
I have arthritis in my hands and I can’t physically knead breads. So this recipe has steps that use a mixer, but can easily be adapted to hand-power if you don’t have a mixer.
Check out our post on substitutions in this recipe!
Whole Wheat Bread
Step 1 (See Instructions)
- 3 Cups White Flour
- 3 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 3 Cups Warm Water ~110° F
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- 5 to 5 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Add flour, yeast, honey, and warm water to countertop mixer. Let proof for 30 minutes, bubbles should be formed.
- Turn mixer on, and add salt, butter, and slowly mix in 5 cups of whole wheat flour. Add in additional 1/2 cup flour as needed, until not real sticky - just pulling away from the bowl, but still sticky to touch; mix approximately 8 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and put in lightly greased mixing bowl. Turn dough to coat in oil and cover with clean tea towel. Let rise in a warm, draft free area until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Punch down, shape into flatted ball, cut into 2, 3, or 4 equal chunks (use a scale to get even sizing):For 9x5 loaf pans, make 2 loaves (approximately 2 lbs each). For 8x4 loaf pans, make 3 or 4 loaves (approximately 1 to 1⅓ lbs each).
- Shape each chunk into loaves, rise in lightly greased loaf pans for about 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into second rise, preheat oven to 350°F
- For 4 loaves, bake for 25 minutes.For 3 loaves, bake for 30 minutes.For 2 loaves, bake for 35 minutes.Bread should reach an interal temperature of 190-200°F.
Did you like this? Please share with your friends, and don't forget to follow us on facebook.