This is my family’s favourite sandwich bread. It makes amazingly tasty sandwiches.
I have arthritis in my hands and I can’t physically knead breads. So this recipe has steps that use a mixer, but can easily be adapted to hand-power if you don’t have a mixer.
Check out our post on substitutions in this recipe!
Whole Wheat Bread
Step 1 (See Instructions)
- 3 Cups White Flour
- 3 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 3 Cups Warm Water ~110° F
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- 5 to 5 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Add to mixer or bowl all ingredients from Step 1. Let proof (sit) for 30 minutes, bubbles should be formed.
- Add Salt, Butter, and slowly mix in 5 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour from Step 2. Add in additional 1/2 cup flour as needed, until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter/bowl, but still sticky to touch; knead approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into ball and let rise in a lightly greased bowl until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, shape into flatted ball, cut into 4 equal chunks.
- Shape each chunk into loaves, rise in lightly greased loaf pans for 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into second rise, preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Did you like this? Please share with your friends, and don't forget to follow us on facebook.