This Spanish Rice has been a staple side dish with our Mexican style meals for over a decade now, before we moved to Alberta. Originally posted on January 7, 2009, the original recipe used chicken broth. We started using Better Than Bouillon when Costco started carrying it here and it’s a great improvement, but you can definitely enjoy this using your preferred bouillon or broth.
Your salsa choice will determine how good your rice is, as well as how hot it is, similar to my Quick & Easy Chili. Recently, we’ve been using PC Brand Medium Chunky Salsa and it’s been turning out some good dishes.
Our favourite way to enjoy Spanish Rice is either in a bowl or tortilla with my Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, Homemade Refried Beans (also made in the slow cooker!) and lots and lots of cheese. And sour cream, of course. If you have any leftovers (you probably won’t), store in a covered container up to 3 days. To reheat, add a tablespoon or so water and microwave, loosely covered, for a couple minutes (time depends on your microwave).
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp onion finely diced
- 1½ cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken see notes
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes
- Add rice to skillet and cook until rice begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa, water, and Better Than Bouillon Chicken.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.