This is a recipe we first tried and immediately fell in love with, back in 2008.
My youngest was 2 then. He’s in the 2024 graduating class. How did that happen??
Anyway, as I sat at the computer getting my Thanksgiving Day 2023 menu prepared, I realized that this recipe badly needed an update. The instructions left out a lot of important information! There are many ways to cook a roast, and many ways to ruin a roast, and I’ve done them all. Many times! LOL We love this method and hope you do too!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Prime Rib Beef Roast
- 2 kg beef prime rib roast weight approximate, roughly 5lbs
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
Simple Horseradish Sauce
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup prepared horseradish
- Place the roast in a mixing bowl and sprinkle pepper on all sides of roast, using more pepper as desired for a peppery crust, then pour the Zesty Italian Dressing on, rotating the meat to coat it.
- Marinate the meat for up to an hour, turning every 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300℉ (see notes). Prepare shallow roasting pan by lining with foil and spraying with oil for easy cleanup.
- Remove roast from mixing bowl and place fat side up in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up, and cover. Insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the center, not touching any bones. Bake until probe thermometer register 118℉ for medium rare. The temperature will continue to increase in the next step, so don't overcook it.
- Remove from oven. Let stand for at least 15 minutes and up to an hour (if needed before meal time), leaving covered.
- 20 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 500℉ and uncover the roast. Open some windows and turn on vents if you have a sensitive smoke alarm! Place the roast fat side up in the oven for 5-15 minutes, until desired brownness is achieved.
- While the roast is searing, mix the mayo and horseradish in small serving bowl.
- Serve immediately with horseradish sauce.
Originally published on Dec 21, 2008