These Apple Fritters are probably the least healthy thing on this website, but also one of the tastiest! There is probably no tastier carbohydrate, than deep fried, sweet dough. Just my opinion, but it’s probably a pretty popular one! The only way to make deep fried, sweet dough any better, is for it to be fresh out of the fryer. Bonus points for being super easy to make!
These Apple Fritters win on all accounts. The perfect level of sweetness, cinnamon, and apple flavour and texture. They’re moist, with the right weight between dense and airy. By the time your deep fryer is heated up, the batter is ready, and each basket-full takes less than 5 minutes to cook.
The only possible downside is you might be tempted to snack on each batch before they’re all done.
Wait, that’s not a downside.
Americans will probably see these as donut holes, Canadians will see Timbits. In either country, you will not find anything that tastes this great in any store. Add a couple fried eggs and some sausage or bacon with your fritters, for a hearty “pre- barn clean out” breakfast. You’ll work off the calories! If you’re looking for something a little lighter, try our Pancakes recipe, with many variations to choose from, including apple cinnamon!
- Digital Food Thermometer
- Deep Fryer
- Medium Cookie Scoop
- 3-5 litres peanut or other fryer oil approximate, depending on fryer needs
- 2 cups flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs large
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted, melted
- 3 apples medium, peeled, and grated*
- 1 apple medium, peeled, and chopped small*
- 1½ cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-4 tbsp milk
- Add oil to deep fryer, if needed, and turn on to 375°F
- While fryer heats, in a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, mix sugar and eggs together until well blended, then add milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a silicone spatula.
- Mix in both grated and diced apples*.
- Working quickly and using a medium cookie scoop, carefully drop balls of batter directly into the hot oil, as closely as possible to the oil to avoid splashing, and to allow them to stay formed. Use a fork (I like using a meat fork) to flip them a few times. Cook 3-5 minutes until internal temperature is 200°F using a digital cooking thermometer.
- Remove fritters from deep fryer onto paper towel lined plate.
- Cook in batches to avoid over crowding the deep fryer.
- To glaze: In a medium bowl mix confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make the glaze thin. Add several bites at a time and rotate with fork to coat, and place on a rack over a cookie sheet to drip. Or serve immediately if you're like us and can't wait :)
- Just another day in frozen paradise - December 22, 2022
- Sweet & Sour Sauce - September 18, 2022
- Apple Fritters - July 22, 2022