There is a bar for perfect coleslaw, as far as I am concerned, and it is very narrow. It’s been about 10 years since I last ate at KFC in the US, but their coleslaw was on the ball. I haven’t had coleslaw that really hit that craving since, and I missed it. I’ve tried so many times over the years to get that tangy, sweet, creamy crunch just right and never even came close. After recently doing some deep diving into what flavours I was looking for, and stumbling on TIME and PATIENCE being what was needed to really pull it together, the recipe worked itself out after a few revisions.
We love this coleslaw as a side, but holy smokes, does it take my Pulled Pork recipe to another level, when made into BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches and added as a topping. It’s a perfect creamy crunchy compliment to the bbq flavour and tender meat.
As a semi-related note, American KFC biscuits were also delicious. So Canadian KFC’s coleslaw is inedible, and they don’t even have biscuits. We very rarely go out to eat, and with these offences to my taste buds occurring, KFC ends up being that place about one in a hundred times when a weird craving for the chicken happens. I have the biscuit recipe perfected too, I’ll add it one of these days!
- ¾ cup mayonnaise kraft or best food's/hellman's
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3-4 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- ½ cabbage medium, shredded or chopped fine
- 2 carrots medium, shredded fine
The day before
- Combine the dressing ingredients and whisk well. Cover and refridgerate for at least 12 hours, or up to 3 days.
- Do yourself a favour and don't taste test at this point... it will not taste anything like the finished results tomorrow!
4 hours before meal time
- Chop or shred (using a food processor with blade, for quick results) the cabbage, and shred the carrots.
- Combine the cabbage and carrots in a large mixing bowl, and pour on the dressing.
- Mix very well to fully incorporate the dressing into the cabbage mix, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 4 hours to let all the flavours fully combine.
- Mix before serving. Use within 1 day.
Did you like this? Please share with your friends, and don't forget to follow us on facebook.