Soups are healthy, and easy, and super tasty, and make for great meals after long days, or lunches during the week. Just make a pot on the weekend, portion it out, freeze all but a couple, and take out what you need the night before. Soups often allow you to make use of leftover meats and vegetables, extending the life of those foods than might otherwise go to waste.
My Ham & Bean Soup is classic and super simple, the perfect comfort food. For such simple ingredients, it really is delicious! Include my Dinner Rolls for the perfect meal.
Deliciously Simple Ham & Bean Soup
Soak the beans
- 2 cups navy beans dry, uncooked
- 6 cups cold water
To do the night before: soak the beans
- Toss out out any non-bean bits and pour remaining beans into a medium bowl. Add enough cold water to cover beans plus about an inch.
- Cover, refridgerate for 8-24 hours.
- Before using, drain and gently rinse softened beans.
- Add bacon fat (for optimal flavour) or oil to soup pot, turn heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Stir and cook until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Lower temp so just above a simmer and cook for 2 hours or more, adding more water as needed.
Did you like this? Please share with your friends, and don't forget to follow us on facebook.