https://owlcreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/potatosoup.jpg 225 225 Amy Garrett https://owlcreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021owlcreekweblogo.png Amy Garrett2008-09-06 17:34:302020-11-15 14:41:26Bacon Potato Soup
Bacon Potato Soup
Our favourite potato soup recipe.
- 1 lb bacon
- ½ medium onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped fine
- 5 lbs potatoes peeled and diced small
- 7 cups water
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Fry bacon in large pot until almost crisp, then drain all but approximately 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Fry onion, garlic, and celery with the bacon in the bacon fat until tender and bacon is crisp. Add water, evaporated milk, potatoes, Better Than Bouillon, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover, simmering until potatoes are tender. Use a potato masher to mash about 90% of the potatoes (depending on proportion of chunky potatoes to smooth desired). Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.
Recipe updated Feb 7, 2020. The original recipe didn't include evaporated milk, and pepper got left off somehow. Regular milk can be used, or left out, but the best flavour, we've found, is from using evaporated.
Did you like this? Please share with your friends, and don't forget to follow us on facebook.