http://owlcreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/frogeyesalad.jpg 250 250 Amy http://owlcreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/OwlCreekLogo1sm.png Amy2010-07-02 09:31:102010-07-02 09:31:10Frog Eye Salad
Frog Eye Salad
Give it a chance, it tastes better than the name eludes to. This is a great salad to take for a picnic or barbecue.
Servings: 12 -16
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (46 oz) can unsweetened pineapple juice, separate out 1 3/4 cups
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini de pepe pasta
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 3/4 cup pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
- Bring remaining pineapple juice and water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture. In another medium bowl, combine mandarin oranges and pineapple. Refrigerate both overnight or until chilled.
- Once chilled, mix fruit into pasta mixture, add whipped topping and marshmallows and mix well.